If you haven't already made a reservation for Valentine's Day, you may have trouble getting seated at a restaurant. With just a little bit of preparation and planning, you can have a lovely and romantic night in with your Valentine.
If you've got little ones in the house, they probably already have a fairly early bedtime. Perfect! Just put them to bed at their regular time and start your evening after they've fallen asleep. For older kids, have them choose a movie or two and set them up with snacks and a show in another room. Tell them you'll ground them from video games til summer if they interrupt you. Or, if you're lucky enough to have relatives nearby, see if they'll take your kids for a few hours (or overnight).
One of the benefits of staying in is not having to wear heels all night, but yoga pants don't exactly say "hot momma" so try to find a happy medium. Get a pedicure. Shave your legs. Take a bubble bath. Put on some mascara and scented lotion. THEN put on the yoga pants. Just be sure to leave your prettied-up toes exposed and add a sexy tanktop instead of a frumpy sweatshirt.
Candles, flowers, and no visible toys are all you really need to set the mood. But you can also add some special touches, if you choose.
If your Valentine has a favorite dish that doesn't get made very often because it's too spicy for the kids/ takes too long to prepare/ has too many expensive ingredients for a family meal, now is the time to dig out that recipe and make it just for the two of you.
If you don't have a favorite, it's hard to go wrong with a couple of steaks. My hubby makes the very best marinade ever:
- 1-1/2 cups olive oil
- 4-1/2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 Tablespoon garlic-pepper blend
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
So. Many. Choices!!! Whether you choose from your own collection, rent one from the library, or stream it through Netflix, we bet one of these will make you swoon while you snuggle up on the couch!
- An Affair to Remember (1957) starring Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr
- Casablanca (1942) starring Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman
- Gone with the Wind (1939) starring Clark Gable & Vivien Leigh
- Roman Holiday (1953) starring Gregory Peck & Audrey Hepburn
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) starring Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan
- Ever After (1998) starring Dougray Scott & Drew Barrymore
- Never Been Kissed (1999) starring Michael Vartand & Drew Barrymore
- The Proposal (2009) starring Ryan Reynolds & Sandra Bullock
- Sleepless in Seattle (1993) starring Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan
- You've Got Mail (1998) starring Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan
- City of Angels (1998) starring Nicholas Cage & Meg Ryan
- The Notebook (2004) starring Ryan Gosling & Rachel McAdams
- Sweet November (2001) starring Keanu Reeves & Charlize Theron
- Titanic (1997) starring Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet
- A Walk to Remember (2002) starring Shane West & Mandy Moore
- 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) starring Heath Ledger & Julia Stiles
- Benny & Joon (1993) starring Johnny Depp & Mary Stuart Masterson
- Friends with Benefits (2011) starring Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis
- The Princess Bride (1987) starring Cary Elwes & Robin Wright
- Jerry Maguire (1996) starring Tom Cruise & Renee Zellwegger