Outdoor concerts are a great way to spend time outside during the beautiful summer months. Whether you choose to take the kids for a fun family night out or maybe get the chance to sneak away for an outdoor date night, below is a list of local concerts in Hickory, Newton, Morganton, Lenoir, Lincolnton and the surrounding areas of the NC Western Piedmont. Grab your chairs or a blanket, pack a picnic dinner and head to one of these fabulous events to listen to some great music out in the fresh air.
Click on each date for full details and find all of these great kid-friendly outdoor concerts and music series on our calendar of local family fun. Check back regularly as we'll be adding more as we come across them. Know of something missing? Send in the details using our submit an event form.
Sails-Tunes in Trade Alley (Hickory)
Fridays in May & June, three bands are featured weekly at 2:30, 5:00, and 7:30pm in Trade Alley in Downtown Hickory.
- June 15 - Arcadian Wild, The Rahm Squad and Selwyn Birchwood
- June 1 - City Walk Summer Celebration at Lowes Food City Park from 4:00-9:00pm
Sails Original Music Series (Hickory)
Fridays in September from 6:30-8 pm at the Sails on the Square in Downtown Hickory. Read our review HERE.
- September 6 - Missy Raines
- September 13 - Sierra Ferrell featuring Nate Leath
- September 20 - Mac Arnold and Plate Full O' Blues
- September 27 - Moves
Get Your NewtOn! (Newton)
Saturdays at 3pm starting in April, 4pm mid-June, back to 3pm late-September. Series runs through end of September at Catawba Farms in Newton.
- May 30 - Fried Melon Blues Band
- June 6 - Shelby Rae Moore
- June 13 - Yesterday
- June 20 - The Ya Yas
- June 27 - River Ratz
- July 11 - Boogaloo Zoo
- July 18 - Sycamore Bones
- July 25 - The Wayne Taylor and George Giddens Duo
- August 1 - The Cozmic Cowboys
- August 8 - Centerpiece Jazz
- August 22 - Rebecca Hart
- August 29 - The Dan Staton Trio
Family Friday Nights (Valdese)
Friday nights, May through September. The music starts at 7 pm at the Town of Valdese parking lot beside Wells Fargo Bank on Main Street.
- May 31 - Rated PG (Variety)
- June 7 - Fox & Company (Dance and Variety)
- June 14 - Emily Minor (Country and Variety)
- June 21 - The Night Move Band (Variety)
- June 28 - Independence Day Celebration and Fireworks
- July 5 - Southwind (Variety)
- July 12 - Shake Down Band (Variety and Beach Music)
- July 19 - The True Grass Band (Bluegrass)
- July 26 - Tony Bailey Band (Classic Rock)
- August 2 - Skaterink Jukebox (Variety)
- August 9 & 10 - 44th Annual Historic Valdese Waldensian Festival
- August 16 - Carson Hill (Folk Rock and Country)
- August 23 - Dirty Grass Soul (Variety)
- August 30 - Concert Series Finale Celebration with Tim Clark Band (Variety and Beach)
TGIF Concert Series (Morganton)
Friday nights May through July. Bands perform at Historic Burke County Courthouse Lawn in Morganton from 7pm till 10pm with food and beverage vendors opening at 6pm.
- May 31 - Fox & Company
- June 7 - Surf Cavelier
- June 14 - Sweet Revenge
- June 21 - Throwdown Jones
- June 28 - Tuatha Dea
- July 12 - N-Spire
- July 19 - The Night Move Band
- July 26 - Buick MacKane
Friday After 5 Summer Music Madness (Lenoir)
Friday nights June through mid-August starting at 7pm (except where noted) on the square in Downtown Lenoir.
- June 7 - Chad Triplett & Two Lane Blacktop (Country) and Official Throwdown Jones (Rock)
- June 28 - Cassette Rewind (80s Pop)
- July 26 - Lucky Pocket (Pop)
- Aug 16 - Crawford & Power (Country)
Conover Alive (Conover)
Every other Friday in June and July at Conover Station in downtown Conover. Concerts start at 7pm and the splash pad is open late for the kids!
- June 14 - BAD Romeo
- June 21 - Tuesday's Gone and Dreams
- July 19 - Departure - A Journey Tribute Band
- August 10 - 20 Ride
- August 17 - The Night Move Band
Home Town Concert Series (Hudson)
Friday nights June through early July from 7-9pm at Hickman Windmill Park (behind Town Hall) in Hudson.
- May 31 - Shelby Rae Moore Band
- June 14 - Chad Triplett and Two Land Blacktop
- June 28 - Soulwatt
- July 5 - New River Band
- July 19 - Buck Austin Band
- August 2 - Fractured
Hildebran Cruise-In Concerts (Hildebran)
Fourth Saturday of each month May-September from 5-9:30pm at Hildebran Town Hall.
- May 25 - Lowdown South
- June 22 - Fantasy Band
- July 27 - Bone Dryver
- August 24 - Fox and Company
- September 28 - Tim Hall and Buffalo Band
Summer Concert Series (Connelly Springs)
Last Saturday of each month May - September from 5:30-9:30pm at Town Hall in Connelly Springs.
- June 22 - Too much Sylvia
- July 27 - The Tonez
- August 24 - Doesn't Madder Band
- September 28 - Mama's Remedy
Alive After 5 (Lincolnton)
Last Thursday of each month May - September. DJ Johnny B stirs up the fun at 6pm before the band kicks off at 7pm on Main Street in front of the Courthouse in Lincolnton.
- May 30 - The Catalinas
- June 27 - Too Much Sylvia
- July 25 - Jim Quick and Coastline
- August 29 - The Entertainers
- September 12 - The Band of Oz
Summer on the Square Concert Series (Taylorsville)
Located at the Alexander County Courthouse from 7:30pm - 9:30pm with more dates TBD
- June 14 - The Night Move Band
Jive After Five (Maiden)
Various Fridays throughout the summer from 5:30-9:30pm at Maiden Town Hall
- June 28 - Cozmic Cowboys and The Band of Oz
- July 26 - Big Ten and Blackwater R&B
- August 16 - Cozmic Cowboys and Cassette Rewind
- September 20 - Shakedown Band and Too Much Sylvia
Like this guide? Subscribe to the FREE Hickory - W Piedmont Macaroni Kid newsletter to learn more about other awesome local events. Click on our local Events Calendar for an easy way to find fun events for your family!